Care Assistant – Trowbridge and Westbury Office
Are you someone who is looking to give something back? Maybe you're looking for a challenge, or to start a new career in a different industry. For the right person, becoming a care assistant is one of the most rewarding jobs there is. This role is hard, no question about it. You need to be committed and the days can be long, however, for many, meeting incredible people and making a difference to their lives day in and day can be a truly rewarding experience
Who are Saxon Care?
Here at Saxon care, we are a family run business who have spent the last 12 years providing outstanding support in our local communities. Our aim is to help and support clients to stay as independent as possible in the comfort of their own homes.
We’re an award winning team, having won at Wiltshire’s proud to care awards and we’re consistently named one of the top twenty providers in the South West of England according to homecare.co.uk. Recently we have been named as a top twenty small home care provider in the whole of the UK, and we couldn’t be prouder of our team and that the hard work they put in is being recognised.
What does this role involve?
As a Home Care Assistant, your main role involves visiting clients in their own homes, helping and supporting them with their daily challenges to enable them to stay at home and remain independent as long as possible. This can include personal care, helping to prepare meals, support with medication, feeding pets or assisting with trips and social outings
Each one of our clients are different and all have different needs. Some clients require personal care including bathing and toileting, help with food and medication, others many need less support but need more help around their home. We also provide companionship calls for clients which could involve things like going to appointments, assisting them on trips out and providing the opportunity for family members to have some R&R.
What are the benefits of taking this role?
At Saxon Care, we believe that caring is an incredibly important job to do in your local community. We treat our carers as professionals, given that they have a wide range of responsibilities, and believe that this professionalism should be reflected in your hourly rate.
Here’s a few reasons why we’re a bit different from the rest:
Paid Travel and waiting time between calls
- One of the biggest differences with Saxon care and the majority of other care providers is that with us, you will be paid travel and waiting time between your calls, at your normal hourly rate, up to a gap of an hour. Don’t be fooled by the headline rate, if you’re not being paid travel and waiting time in your current role, you will almost always be worse off financially!
Salaries above the living wage
- With our starting rate of between £11.00 and £12.40 per hour (which includes enhancements for working unsociable hours like evenings and weekends) and double-time pay on public holidays, we pay above the living wage. There’s also opportunities to move up pay bands once you pass probation
Guaranteed hours contracts
- We can offer guaranteed hours contracts
Mileage paid at 45p per mile
- To help with rising costs of fuel, we offer paid mileage of 45p per mile in addition to paid travel and waiting time between your client visits.
Paid training and shadowing
- A lot of companies will ask you to start and go through your training on a voluntary basis. At Saxon Care, we pay you for your time spent training, shadowing and learning the ropes! We also offer a wide range of training courses after your mandatory training, if there’s anything you are interested in learning more about or you want to further your career knowledge.
Opportunities for career progression
- we’re proud that a number of our key carers, care co-ordinators and even managers have all started out as care assistants at Saxon Care. We believe in recruiting and promoting from within and offer plenty of help and support, including access to Diplomas, for anyone who wants to progress and further their careers.
29 days holiday pay per year (pro rata)
- we offer 28 days paid holiday per year, plus an extra day for your birthday on us, as standard for full time employees (pro-rata).
Is this role right for me?
Experience is preferred, but not essential as we provide training as part of your induction and on-boarding process with us. As we are based in the community, you will need your own transport (such as a car) along with business insurance. Applicants also need to be 18 years or over due to requirements to work in domiciliary care and have the right to work in the UK. Please note that we are sadly unable to offer Sponsorship at this time.
Complete our online application form and hear back within 48.